by Kim on Tuesday, July 03, 2007

#100: Kristy's Worst Idea

"Between Abby and Claudia, our BSC meetings sometimes become half-hour-long laff riots. Their senses of humor are different, though. Claudia's not really a comedian, like Abby. She just has the world's oddest way of looking at life. To her, the most ordinary thing is an object of art. For instance, at that Labor Day meeting she was wearing a bracelet of dyed, braided shoelaces, along with a blousy ruffled shirt that looked as if it once belonged to Captain Hook; mismatched high-top Converse sneakers; and baggy, pinstriped men's suit pants, gathered at the waist with a bungee cord. On me, something like that would look like a Halloween costume. On Claudia it looked way cool."

I know you think I might be making this one up, like maybe I felt I owed you something after some of the more recent lackluster fashion statements. (Too many vests, for one thing.) But I assure you that isn't so. These are the actual words on the page, right down to the spelling of the word laugh. Ann M. Martin apparently told the ghostwriters to kick it up a notch (. . perhaps she had been watching a lot of Emeril). "It's book 100!" she may have said. "Claudia Kishi! Bam!"

. . . On further thought, I actually think that may be the only possible explanation for this outfit.

4 comments

You have no idea how overjoyed I am to find this site. Seriously.

by Sarah Brown on 3:27 AM. #

MISMATCHED CONVERSE?? Ohmygod.

It's funny. I read these books obsessively when I was in second grade, and yet I have absolutely no memory of all of these drippingly purple descriptions of horrific clothes. Maybe I was too young? Either way, your site is still great fun to read.

by feather on 4:21 PM. #

This blog is amazing and hilarious...a bracelet of dyed, braided shoelaces?! It blows my mind.

by Michelle on 10:03 PM. #

A bungee cord tied around her waist. Where the hell did Claudia get a bungee cord?! As a matter of fact, where did she get all the billions of articles of clothing she wore during the series? Baby sitting is not that proficient. Did she ever wear the same thing twice? Agh. Believe it or not she was my favorite- so inspiring. When I was younger I used to loved to wear an- get this- OVERSIZED bright yellow silk shirt over a tank top, with a beret kind of hat. Oh man. They would've thought I was way cooler than Mallory!!

by Stace on 3:52 PM. #

Leave your comment